Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Camp-out, Ball game-in


This past weekend we participated in our second camping adventure ever, our second ward campout. I don't know that there is much to report other than no one slept very well because we are used to sleeping with the thermostat at 79 and no covers and the temperature dropped to 48 and my kids had a hard time staying covered up. Of course flat air matresses and trips to the potty did not help. Tanner crawled in bed with Reed and I. Shortly after that I took Zoe and Heidi to the bathroom (3am). I figured since Tanner had the warmest sleeping bag I was going to take his spot. Heidi couldn't get warm and ended up in the sleeping bag with me. Around 4am I hear Reed say "Heather, if you can hear me come and get back in bed with me." Fortunately for him I was just laying there unable to sleep. In the morning as we were striking camp one of the other Mom's joked with me about how effort it is to get one crappy nights sleep. I shared with her the sage advice from Karine (Reed's sister), FUN IS WORK. Despite the poor nights sleep we all had a good time. Tanner experienced a new level of freedom being able to run and play with very few boundaries and lots of dirt and water (from a spigot, so not to worry). We arrived home just in time to shuttle Zoe off to a birthday party. She was happy as a clam, everyone had a meltdown. Zoe fell apart after the party. As final punishment to ourselves we took all the kids to a baptism on Sat. night.

Sunday was the final home stand in Yankee Stadium. In honor of the event we had hot dogs and brats for dinner. Reed had chilled some IBC root beer and munched cracker jack as he bemoaned the greed that has led to this end. He tried to eat away his misery. That didn't work out so well. He admitted that his love for all things Yankees is really rooted in his love of the stadium, not the team. Ironically the last game was played against the Orioles, the team Reed loved until he lived in NY.

Final thougths: When kids are really tired they make really poor choices. Heidi and Tanner have been really tired the past two days. I hope they sleep well tonight.


No comments: