Thursday, September 18, 2008

Accidental Baker

This morning I decided to be a Martha and I baked muffins for my kids for breakfast. They awoke to the smell of sugary goodness wafting from the oven and were highly motivated to get up, clean up and get dressed up-just in time to hear the buzzer ring. I pulled the crumble top confections (from a box, of course) from the oven and Zoe immediately picks off that they are not blueberry. She will be having cold cereal with no milk, which is what she usually has when she is completely unwilling to try something new. It is as I am carefully removing the muffins from the tin that I realize I have left a watermelon from last nights grocery shopping on top of the stove where the oven vents and it is HOT, discolored and has a very funny squishiness to it. I decide to cut it up and get it in the fridge quickly to salvage it. As I am cutting I have a piece of the piping hot flesh and am taken back when I realize it tastes like squash. I quickly googled baked watermelon to see if this is a culinary dish that people make on purpose, but really only find reviews for a book/movie named baked watermelon that does not look like it has anything to do with food. Apparently some Asians put the rind in their stir fry. Anyway, the thought occured to me that perhaps this would make a great new recipe-perhaps a watermelon bisque? or not.

No comments: