Thursday, November 27, 2008

Where to begin?




The last week has been really packed-I went on a Caribbean cruise with work, had a birthday, and Thanksgiving today, so where is a girl to begin?
The cruise was so much fun. The only times I have gone on vacation without Reed is when I took Molly to the cabin when she was little. It has been a while. We went to Key West in Florida and Cozumel Mexico. I would love to share pictures, but once again my hard drive has become a limiting factor. I entered a karaoke competition on board and ended up taking 3rd place in the finals which made for some great entertainment. Reed has asked all kinds of questions about cruising. When he realized that one can eat 20 hours a day on board with no extra charge he was ready to sign up.
Speaking of eating, today has been the culinary bonanza that I anticipated. I suppose I could get uptight about the amount of preparation time that was spent, or how my kids didn't really eat anything, but I really enjoy the cooking and my kids didn't go hungry by any means. Because of the variety there was a little bit of something for everyone. Of course there is always so much to be grateful for, but this is the 1 year anniversary of my Dad's liver transplant and I am grateful to have him around, grateful for someone's sacrifice to make it possible and grateful for the knowledge that I have that the ties that bind us together are eternal.
Now, for my birthday. Kind of a bust. I am not one to have great expectations, partly due to the fact that my birthday is so near to Thanksgiving. I baked my own cake and Reed worked late. Reed had proposed getting takeout once the kids were in bed, but because it is a weeknight everything was closed by the time we got around to ordering takeout. Reed ran to Fry's and got some sushi, which was not very good, and we caught up on back episodes of the Office. Reed asked for a do over on my birthday, he also said we should celebrate my half birthday, as the timing of the real thing is crummy. As I sit here and think about it, I am a very low key, low maintenance person, and having my birthday around Thanksgiving really facilitates that, so we will probably just leave things the way they are. Besides, they don't sell peppermint ice cream and gingerbread cake in May. I ought to add that I did buy myself some things while on vacation and I was generous with myself knowing my birthday was approaching.

No comments: