Tuesday, January 6, 2009

because I am a mom...

Molly has been coughing a lot-she and Tanner are still battling lingering colds. She got to coughing so much tonight that she threw up. So I tried to gently coax her through it while trying to give a tutorial on the proper way to throw up. She thought I was crazy when I told her to kneel by the toilet. When she asked me why I wanted to tell her it was so that the phlem she was coughing up didn't end up all over the walls and floor, that kneeling was closer to the fetal position we all want to take when our insides are being wretched out, but managed to just say it was so that if she got light headed and fell over she wouldn't hurt herself. I got her tucked into bed and proceeded with the cleanup. The bathroom needed to be cleaned anyway. I have lysol at my house. I am not a clean freak and I don't use it a ton, but everything got a good spray down tonight. Luckily Molly is now sleeping soundly.

Tanner, however, is not. The kid will only sleep in 60 min intervals even when he is healthy. He wakes up to check where dad is. He won't get in bed with us, he only ever wants Reed to get in bed with him. This is a habit we need to break. So, Tanner woke up about 10 min. ago walked out in the hall and laid down to cry for his dad-this is the routine-at which time Reed scooped him up and tried to figure out why he was up. He thought he might have a poopy diaper so he called for me to check while he was holding him. After I put my fingers down his diaper and confirmed that he was clean I walked away and contemplated the grossness of what I would have run into had there been something in there and I wondered to myself why I do all this crazy stuff.

The answer...because I am a mom.

2 comments:

s said...

Isn't it true we do things as moms we would never consider otherwise. The potty training is a book I borrowed from my Sis in law, I already gave it back to her, but I'll jot down highlights and recommend the website 3daypottytraining.com and when I talk to you next we'll talk about it.

Mix Family said...

oh MAN! caleb threw up on me as we were taxiing out of phx (after flight cancelation and 3 hr wait to board a new flight).it was because he was coughing so hard--just like molly. it was fabulous. i loved the finger down the diaper "what if" epiphany. and the recounting of the great gingerbread smackdown was awesome! your stories are real and true hilarity (is that a word?) at it's best. and the baked beans recipe is MUCH appreciated, thanks. you pulled off an amazing christmas reunion.