Saturday, August 22, 2009

Tanner's first day of preschool

Tanner with Miss Teddie
This week Tanner had his first day of preschool. I asked him on the way if he was excited about preschool. His response: "I'm not excited, I am just going." He was so matter of fact, like it was no big deal. I was worried that he would not transition well. I underestimated the power of Miss Teddie. She took him and got him involved in playing with the other kids and that was that. I went and ran errands and felt naked without a child in tow. On Friday,after being at preschool for three mornings, we ran some errands together. After we left each store he asked "Now do we go to Miss Teddie's?" I think that is a good sign. This begins a new era for me. I have had visions of free time dancing in my head. Turns out the hours my kids are in school are not relaxing at all but a mad rush to get things accomplished before they hit the door and consume all my time and energy. When kids are born their world is so small and their needs so predictable and immediate. It is cool to see your kids world expand and open up. I was going to wax philosophic about my kids growing and how our family is changing, but it is just making my cry, so I am not going to do that. It sounds too ultra sappy on paper anyway.

No comments: